Waterloo store worker recounts shots following dispute over price of lighter | Crime-and-courts


WATERLOO — A Waterloo convenience store employee said an April shooting at the business began with an argument over the price of a lighter.

Authorities allege Tony Cecil Orr Jr. began shooting the Logan Convenience Store clerk as his brother yelled at the clerk.

Orr, 18, of Memphis, Tennessee, is charged with intimidation with a weapon, carrying a weapon and being armed. His trial began in Black Hawk County District Court on Tuesday and went to the jury on Wednesday.

At the Logan Convenience Store, 735 Logan Ave., disposable lighters were two for $1 or 75 cents each.

Derrick Tatum, a store employee, said a customer argued with him over price one day in April.

The client – Alante Amaechi – shouted and had a few choice words, Tatum said in the witness box on Tuesday.

People also read…

Tony Cecil Orr Jr.

“I said smart things to him and he walked away,” Tatum said.

Then about three days later — April 20 — Amaechi returned, allegedly with his brother, Orr, in tow, and resumed the feud, “threatening and talking recklessly” online as Tatum waited for another client, the report said. clerk.

At one point, Orr, wearing a mask and standing by a shelf of potato chips near the door, pulled out a handgun with a magazine extended from his waist and began firing, Tatum told jurors.

Orr took aim and spun around, firing behind him as he ran for the door, Tatum said. Two of the bullets fell within a foot or two of Tatum and the customer he was phoning.

“I ducked … down to the ground,” Tatum said.

When he looked up, the shooter was gone and patrons were checking for injuries. No one was hit by a bullet, prosecutors said.

Tatum said he grabbed the store’s gun — a gun placed behind the counter just in case — and called 911.

“It’s unreal. I can’t believe this just happened,” Tatum said.

In court, Tatum identified Orr as the shooter.

Prosecutor Brad Walz said police recovered three spent bullet casings and a fired bullet from the scene. When police searched a home where Orr was staying nine days later, they found clothing and shoes similar to those seen in surveillance footage of the shooting. They also found an extended magazine and ammunition but no firearm.