US store worker shot customer who refused to wear mask, then killed himself

LAS VEGAS – A convenience store clerk who killed himself minutes after shooting a customer who refused to wear a mask and walked out without paying for three bags of chips earlier this month is said to have faced criminal charges if he had survived, according to a police report.

The Feb. 6 shootings northwest of Las Vegas came four days before Governor Steve Sisolak lifted Nevada’s COVID-19 mask mandate.

The 36-year-old Le Terrible gas station/store cashier was pronounced dead at the scene from a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head, police said.

The client’s 26-year-old ex-girlfriend took him to a nearby hospital, where he was treated for a gunshot wound to the shoulder and later released, police said.

Officers interviewed him at the hospital and a witness at the scene corroborated his account of the incident.

Police were called to the scene on West Centennial Center Boulevard near U.S. Highway 95 around 8:30 a.m. on February 6.

Detectives recovered the Glock handgun used in the two shootings and four shell casings, and they reviewed the surveillance video before filing the report on February 9 detailing the chain of events.

“Based on the facts and circumstances learned at the time of the incident, (the employee) would have been charged had he survived with assault and battery with (use of a deadly weapon),” the report said.

KLAS-TV first reported on the incident on Thursday. The Associated Press obtained a redacted copy of the police report through a public records request.

According to police, the clerk yelled at the customer to put on a mask or leave the store, but he refused and placed three bags of crisps on the counter. The clerk refused to serve the man, who then walked out with the fries without paying.

The clerk followed him outside and started recording him with his cell phone camera. The customer got angry, walked over to the clerk, and “a struggle quickly ensued.”

“Once the physical combat had ceased,” the clerk pulled a handgun from his pocket and fired three rounds at the victim, hitting him once in the shoulder, according to the report.

The victim ran to a nearby tire store and was picked up by his ex-girlfriend in a van.

The clerk made a call on his cell phone and started arguing with someone on the phone. Moments later, he turned the handgun on himself, firing a bullet in the right side of his head, police said.

The officer wrote in the report that when he arrived on the scene, the man was still holding the handgun in one hand and the cell phone in the other, lying on his back with no pulse and no blood coming from him. from his head.