Man tries to shoot Phoenix store clerk over cigarette prices, police say

PHOENIX (3TV/CBS 5) – A man is in custody after police say he shot a Phoenix store worker because he was upset about the price of cigarettes. Officers say surveillance video captured Gregory Boston, 34, attempting to shoot the employee nearly two weeks ago.

Fidel Pabon said he technically did not work at the QuickStop near 7th Avenue and Buckeye Road; he only stays inside the store when his wife is working to make sure she is safe. ” She is alone. During the day, there is no one here, and she is alone, so I worry about people like him,” Pabon said.

On June 15, around 1:30 p.m., Pabon said Boston, who they said had been to the store before, asked him about various products. “He asked me the prices several times. I said I didn’t know you had to bring it to the scanner,” Pabon said.

Pabon said Boston got mad and dropped all the items and left. He came back about five minutes later. “He said, ‘Give me cigarettes!’ I say, ‘No, you’re saying I’m rude, I need to know the prices, so find another place to buy the cigarettes,’” Pabon said.

Court documents say Boston started to walk out but reached into his pocket and pulled out a gun. Boston shot Pabon, narrowly missed, then fled the store. The bullet hit the window and hit the back wall above the cooler. “Seconds later, customers come into the store and say, ‘Are you okay?’ I see the guy running with the gun and at the same time I called the cops,” Pabon said.

According to court documents, Pabon told officers he had seen Boston in the store before and believed he lived in the neighborhood. On June 17, officers took Boston into custody after seeing him leave a nearby apartment. According to court documents, Boston told police he was at the store at the time of the shooting, but accidentally fired the shot. He also admitted to police that he was not supposed to have a gun due to previous crimes. Police say officers searched Boston’s apartment and found a loaded gun in the bedroom closet.

Boston was convicted of one count of aggravated assault, two counts of discharging a firearm within city limits, and one count of possession of a weapon by a prohibited person.