Man in police custody for assaulting Maryland store worker who checked him in during dispute: sheriff

A man who violently assaulted a Maryland gas station employee for filming him during an argument in Harford County, leaving him with lasting injuries, has been apprehended and faces multiple charges, authorities announced.

Abingdon resident William Bill Jones, 28, attended Harford County Detention Center on Wednesday August 3, following an investigation into a robbery and assault at Exxon in the 2900 block of ‘Emmorton Road in Abingdon last month, the Sheriff’s Office said. .

On Tuesday, July 19, Harford County Sheriff’s Deputies responded to the location of Exxon, where there was a report of an assault that had just taken place.

Upon arrival, deputies said they located Abingdon resident Kamileshkumar Patel, 54, a petrol station worker, with “significant injuries related to an assault”.

Patel was transported to Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center for treatment of his injuries. He has since been released, but a spokesperson for the sheriff’s office said he continues to recover from his injuries to this day.

The assault investigation determined that Jones and a second man entered the Exxon store and began to argue with Patel when one of them took a cup from the beverage area, authorities said. . The clerk then began filming the incident with his phone as the two threatened him.

Patel continued to follow the couple outside, continuing to film as the argument between the three escalated, according to the sheriff’s office.

During filming, it is alleged that Jones began to assault Patel, punching him multiple times in the head and knocking him to the ground, officials said. Jones then allegedly took Patel’s phone and fled the area.

An arrest warrant was issued for Jones on Friday, July 29, charging him with:

  • First degree theft;
  • second degree assault;
  • Theft between $100 and less than $1,500;
  • Malicious destruction of property.

He is currently being held at Harford Detention Center without bond after his first court appearance.

Officials noted that as of Thursday, Aug. 4, no charges have been filed against the second person who was in the store with Jones the night of the assault.

Click here to sign up for free daily emails and news alerts from Daily Voice.